Recent Mold Remediation Posts
Mold Damage Remediation Services in The Spokane Valley
The purpose of mold damage remediation is to eliminate any mold growing inside the house and to prevent exposing you to large amounts of mold.
SERVPRO is Here to Help Your Residential Mold Damage Emergency
It is easy to ignore a simple pipe leakage when it happens, but the results can be costly. Dripping water from burst pipes can penetrate the walls and eventually find its way onto carpets and other house items. Failure to dry these items within 24-48 hours can lead to mold and mildew growth. These fungi thrive in moist environments. In the house, they can grow on cardboards, ceiling, tiles, wood products, foods, plants, fabrics, drywall, carpets, and other materials. While they have their purpose in nature, they can cause health effects.
Following a water damage incident, it is important to have a mold remediation company check your house for mold growth. If you are looking for mold damage control services in The Spokane Valley, SERVPRO has qualified technicians with adequate equipment for the job. Our techniques are up to par with IICRC recommendations, and our emergency response is quick and efficient.
Water damage situations provide an excellent environment for mold growth. Molds feed on organic materials such as natural fibers, drywall, paper, and wood. Additionally, they thrive in typical building temperatures of between 68 and 86 degrees F (meaning either extremely hot or cold temperatures). Some can survive in low relative humidity levels (up to 65 degrees low), but most prefer lots of moisture. To control their growth, our technicians use different equipment to reduce the RH to below 60%.
The purpose of mold damage remediation is to eliminate any mold growing inside the house and to prevent exposing you to large amounts of mold. To do this effectively, SERVPRO technicians have to calculate the extent of the contamination. Indeed, mold does not always grow in one place.
Based on our calculations, we can determine the most efficient method and products to use. The idea is to stop the water source, remove all moisture, and dry the area completely to avoid future mold growth. Air movers are particularly useful in drying a mold-damaged area. They create airflow at the surface level, allowing moisture into the air in the form of vapor. Drier air fills up the vacuum created, thus accelerating evaporation.
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
Molds may (or can) cause health effects if not addressed. As a locally-based water damage restoration company, SERVPRO of The Spokane Valley can arrive quickly to control the mold damage. Call us today at (509) 926-6140.
Causes of Mold in your Spokane Valley home
Mold Growth Wall Cavity Spokane Valley
Mold needs dampness, water, or mugginess to flourish. Mold spores can start developing inside as soon as they make contact with a wet surface. Some basic spots mold can flourish include:
- Showers, baths, sinks, and toilets are normal spots for mold development. These regions have a tendency to be clammy, and without sufficient ventilation they give the ideal conditions for mold growth.
- Air conditioners and heating ventilation.
- Fireplace and stack. When not being utilized, chimneys and smokestacks are cool, moist, and dim—prolific ground for mold spores.
- In the event that your rooftop has even the smallest of breaks, mold can develop and spread through the framework in the upper room. It can likewise flourish in the insulation and soffit vents.
- In the cellar. That very old storm cellar smell is proof of dampness,humidity, and—more than likely—mold.Generally, it can be found around channels and pipes, or close to the foundation, sump pump, windows, or vents.
Indoor mold development can and ought to be anticipated and controlled by killing the sodden conditions inside. In the event that there is mold development in your house it's critical to manage it quickly and efficiently. The issue must be stopped at the source as well. In the right, or wrong,circumstance mold will spread rapidly—in as few as 24–48 hours.
Every mold damage scenario is different, and requires a unique solution, but the general mold remediation process stays the same. The steps listed below illustrate our “typical” process:
- Emergency Contact - (509) 926-6140
- Inspection and Mold Damage Assessment
- Mold Containment
- Air Filtration
- Removing Mold and Mold-Infested Materials
- Cleaning Contents and Belongings
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
SERVPRO Spokane Valley is locally owned and operated for over 25 years—so we live and work here too and are proud to be part of this community. We are proud to provide mold remediation services in our local communities
Crawlspace Mold in Spokane Valley
Crawlspace Mold in Spokane Valley
Do you have problems with moisture in your crawlspace? Has a water leak caused mold, mildew or wood rot?
Crawl spaces in Spokane are prone to mold growth due to the high levels of moisture and humidity in these areas. Some of the most common causes of increased levels of humidity in the crawl space include water leaks, damaged insulation, and inadequate ventilation. To get rid of a mold problem in the crawl space, you have to control the moisture and humidity levels. Review our tips for how to prevent mold issues;
- Check for water leaks in the foundation walls and crawl space ceiling — make sure there are no cracks that allow water to leak inside the crawl space. While checking for cracks, be sure to also inspect the HVAC ducts and plumbing components for leaks.
- Ensure that the gutters and downspouts direct water away from your home’s foundation. Water that flows toward your house could enter your crawl space and basement.
- Make sure your crawl space is properly ventilated — for every 150 square feet of crawl space area, there should be 1 square foot of ventilation. However, consult a professional to determine if you should keep the crawl space vents closed and, if so, find other ways to control the humidity in the crawl space.
- Use plastic sheeting covers to insulate/encapsulate the crawl space floor and foundation walls. Vapor barriers like plastic sheeting covers trap the moisture that is evaporating from the soil and walls.
- If your crawl space is already insulated, inspect the insulation once or twice a year. Make sure the insulation is not missing or sagging, which indicates that there could be a water problem.
- Make sure dryer vents always discharge to the outside and not into the crawl space, attic or other area of the house. If they don’t, this can lead to a major increase in humidity.If you have a mold problem in your home or business, consider the following facts:
- Call SERVPRO of Spokane Valley at 509-926-6140. Our trained and certified mold remediation technicians can diagnose your crawlspace moisture problem and get your crawlspace dried out in no time. Our technicians will remove any wet insulation in your crawlspace, treat the mold and mildew with an anti-microbial solution, dry the wet floor joists or subfloor, and remove and reset the vapor barrier so that you have no more problems of moisture damaging your home environment.
- Significant mold growth can occur in 48-72 hours.
- Mold may present a greater risk to children, the elderly, and anyone with respiratory problems.
- A strong, musty odor may indicate hidden mold behind drywall or under carpeting.
- What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Spokane Valley for mold remediation services.
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
What to know about mold in Spokane Valley
Attic mold damage- Veradale community in Spokane Valley
Mold affects more homes and businesses than you think - it’s everywhere in Spokane. In fact, there’s a pretty good chance that you’re breathing it in as you’re reading this blog. Mold spores are ever present in nature and wet, damp environments are ideal breeding grounds for mold spores to grow and flourish. Left unchecked, the mold will get out of control and an expert mold remediation service company, like SERVPRO of Spokane Valley, will be needed to get rid of the problem.
Following are some mold facts in order to help you learn to understand the basics:
- Bleach does not kill mold and industry leaders do not recommend it. It usually grows back within weeks after being sprayed with bleach.
- All home buyers should require an inspection before buying a home. Even newly built homes can report active growth.
- Mold spores exist almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors. It only becomes a problem when large amounts of spores exist in an area. No one knows how many species of fungi exist but estimates range from tens of thousands to perhaps 300,000 or more.
- Often times, homeowner insurance policies do not cover damages directly related to mold.
- Organic and/or porous materials only have to be exposed to excessive moisture for 24-48 hours before mold can begin to grow.
- Mold growth usually does not happen directly on glass or concrete. However, it can grow on the dust that accumulates on these materials.
- Serious infestation reduces property values.
- Infestation usually means that there is a structural defect that’s allowing moisture access.
- Live Christmas trees can be a significant source of mold spores.
- Humidifiers can cause moldproblems because they could significantly increase indoor humidity making conditions right for mold growth.
- If you try to paint over porous surfaces, mold will grow through the paint.
- Outdoors, it plays an important role in nature. It breaks down toppled trees, fallen leaves, and dead animals.
Things that you can do to minimize the risk of mold contamination include promptly mitigating any water damage that occurs in your home. Drain backups, toilet overflows, leaky pipes and roof leaks, if not properly cleaned, disinfected and dried will create the wet environment that mold spores seek. A dehumidifier placed in an overly humid environment will help reduce the humidity levels which will preclude and minimize the spread of mold.
It is vital that you be continually look around your home or business for mold as well as follow your nose. Oftentimes the damp, musty smell is a good indicator that a problem is developing. Should you find yourself concerned about mold, please contact us here at SERVPRO of Spokane Valley.
SERVPRO Spokane Valley is locally owned and operated for over 25 years and counting—so we live and work here too and are proud to be part of this community.
SERVPRO of Spokane Valley (509) 926-6140 24/7
Do You Think You Have A Mold Issue in Your Spokane Home
Mold damage Spokane Valley home
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, SERVPRO of the Spokane Valley can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to re mediate your mold infestation. (509) 926-6140
Basic Principles of Mold Removal and Mold Remediation SERVPRO of Spokane Valley follows for your Spokane home.
mold remediation in progress in Spokane basement May 2017
There are five basic principles of all successful mold removal and mold remediation projects:
- Safety – Protect all workers and occupants. Proper safety gear should be worn when dealing with mold. A high quality, high filtration face mask is a must, as are vinyl or neoprene gloves. A full protective suit is recommended
- Assessment – Make a preliminary assessment, an assessment during mold remediation and an assessment after mold remediation.
- Contamination Control – Prevent cross-contamination and the spread of mold from contaminated areas to areas absent of or with less contamination. SERVPRO trained professionals seal off the work area, usually using plastic sheeting, so that mold spores do not become dispersed throughout the home. SERVPRO of the Spokane Valley’s trained professionals use “negative air” containment, which is created by positioning blower fans and using air pressure machines to bring clean air into the contaminated space and push contaminated air outside the home.
- Source Removal – Physically remove the mold at its source. SERVPRO discard moldy porous building materials such as drywall, insulation and baseboards and use some sort of antimicrobial chemical to actually clean the mold and mold stains.
- Moisture Removal – Eliminate the moisture problem that caused the mold outbreak in your Spokane home.
Every mold infestation is different, from the amount of mold to the types of materials affected. Each scenario requires a unique solution, but the general process stays the same.
We live and work in this community too; we might even be neighbors. As a locally owned and operated business, SERVPRO Spokane Valley is close by and ready to help with your mold-damaged property
(509) 926-6140 24 hours a day/ 7 days a week
Simple tips to limit mold growth in your Spokane or Spokane Valley home
Bathroom Mold in a Spokane Valley home March 2017
Mold thrives in damp and dark places, making bathrooms an ideal environment for it to grow. Showers and baths keep the room moist, and various crevices provide perfect spaces for mold to flourish. However, you can help prevent mold growth in your bathroom with these simple tips.
- Washing Your Rugs and Shower Curtain regularly. These items retain water longer than other surfaces in the bathroom, so they are perfect targets for mold. Some fabric curtains and certain rugs can go in the washing machine, but read their tags for specific instructions. To clean plastic liners, simply soak them in your tub in either a mix of water and all-purpose cleaner or water and bleach for a half an hour. Consider replacing when necessary
- Turning on and keeping on the Ventilation Fan. Whenever you bathe or shower, make sure to turn on the bathroom ventilation fan and keep it on until your bathroom is dry. The bathroom can dry even faster when leaving the door open.
- Air Out the Curtain and Towels. After showering, make sure to extend your shower curtain. If it’s scrunched up, it will take longer to dry, and mold may start to grow in the folds. Hang up your towels and pick up any clothes off the floor so they will dry faster as well.
- Check for Leaks Regularly. Examine all bathroom fixtures. Don’t forget the pipes under the sink. Water from small leaks provides the perfect and ideal breeding ground for mold.
- Wipe Down Bathroom Surfaces. If you have a glass shower, make sure to squeegee the excess water off the glass panes before you hop out of the shower. Wipe any moisture accumulation off the bathroom walls and flooring as well.
- Manage Household Humidity Levels. If your house is already humid, it will be more difficult for your bathroom to dry out after a shower. If your house feels humid you can use the AC or a dehumidifier to help.
- Keep the Clutter Out of the Shower/Tub. Avoid storing toys, shampoo bottles, loofahs, and washcloths in the shower. These items often help retain moisture in the bathroom and all give mold an ideal location to grow and hide. Try storing bottles, washcloths, toys, etc. in wire hanging baskets, in mesh nets, or on hooks that will allow everything to drip dry.
- Clean the Bathroom Weekly. Mold spores can remain dormant for quite some time while waiting for the right circumstances to grow. It’s important to regularly clean your bathroom even if there are no visible signs of a problem. Scrub your toilets, counters, sinks, tub, and walls. Don’t forget to dust as well. Clear out your drains as needed so water remains in sinks and bathtubs for less time.
- Seal all Grout Lines. If you have tile, it’s important to seal grout lines once a year. This will prevent mold from growing in between your tiles.
Mold can grow almost anywhere, these tips can help prevent mold growth but be aware, mold is persistent. If you find mold on your property, call SERVPRO of the Spokane Valley immediately so we can start the mold remediation process.
SERVPRO of the Spokane Valley are skilled technicians available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week- Including all holidays. (509) 926-6140
Mold in Spokane, Health Issues in 2017
Mold in Crawlspace March 2017 Liberty Lake
Spokane has mold! To be exact mold is everywhere. SERVPRO of the Spokane Valley has fielded an overwhelming amount of services calls regarding the existence of mold in homeowners residences in recent weeks.
Spring is here. Spokane has experienced a heavier than normal snowfall this winter and mixed with the recent amount of rain, mold is thriving in places like attics and crawlspaces. It is important to be alert for:
- The presence of visible mold
- Musty odors that may indicate mold is present
- Any evidence of past moisture problems that have caused undetected mold growth
- Excessive humidity
Mold is no match for SERVPRO of the Spokane Valley. Our certified professionals use advanced water detection equipment to locate the source of the problem and remediate any mold or water damage.
Health concerns most likely arise from "at risk" people:
- infants and children
- pregnant women
- people with respiratory systems or asthma and allergies.
- People with weakened immune systems
Anyone can experience health problems associated with exposure to mold in damp buildings. Effects may include runny nose, coughing,sneezing, sore throat, and the inflammation of sinuses.
We live and work in this community too; we might even be neighbors. As a locally owned and operated business, SERVPRO Spokane Valley is close by and ready to help with your mold-damaged property.
We are proud to serve our local communities:
- Spokane Valley, WA
- Liberty Lake, WA
- Millwood, WA
- Spangle, WA
- Fairfield, WA
- Latah, WA
- Spokane, WA