Spokane Residents - Water Damage Prevention
Leaking roofs and frozen pipes are the two main causes of many of the water damage calls coming in, many of which were caused by the Spokane wind storm on November 17th. Obviously that was an event nobody could predict. However, in the last month we have received about a dozen phone calls from homeowners who have discovered leaking refrigerator water lines and ice makers. In some cases the event could have been avoided.
Routinely inspecting the area behind and underneath the refrigerator is a good start. Rolling the refrigerator away from the wall when you sweep or clean your floor takes just a little time and is helpful for keeping your refrigerator motor operating safely and efficiently. This Old House recommends inspecting water lines every 6 months for visible signs of wear and replacing water lines every 5 years regardless of condition.
If you see standing water or evidence of water under the refrigerator shut off the water, place towels down to sop up the water and contact a water damage and restoration specialist immediately. More often than not leaks from refrigerators are discovered days, sometimes weeks after the leak first started, causing more materials to become affected than what you can initially see. The sooner the water mitigation begins, the better your chances of minimizing the damage and risk of mold.
If you have questions or need help, contact SERVPRO of the Spokane Valley at 509-926-6140.WE ARE WATER DAMAGE MITIGATION SPECIALISTS
- We are available 24 hours/7 days a week
- We are a Preferred Vendor to many National Insurance Companies
- We bill the insurance company directly giving you one less thing to worry about
- Our service technicians are highly trained in Water Restoration techniques
- We use s500 IICRC Restoration Standards
- We use advanced inspection and water extraction equipment to abate the water damage and speed drying time