Dropping Temperatures & Freezing Pipes
Which Pipes Are Vulnerable to Freezing?
- Pipes located on the outer walls of the home
- Pipes located in unheated garages, attics, crawl spaces and basements
- Copper pipes
- Galvanized pipes
- Uninsulated pipes
So What if Your Pipes Freeze?
When temperatures drop, water freezes and expands causing pipes to burst.
A burst pipe can result in a water leak. Ruptured pipes and water damage can cost thousands of dollars to repair. The amount of damage depends on where the burst occurs, how long it takes to catch the problem, and how much water is leaking from the pipe.
Prevent Your Pipes From Freezing.
- Install Insulation.
- Insulate pipes on the outside of your home .
- When temperatures drop, open your faucets to a slow dribble.
- Open cabinets for warm air to circulate through your home.
- Keep the thermostat set to the same temperature during the night and day.
- If you leave your home for extended periods of time leave your heat on at 55 degrees.
What Do You Do if Your Pipes Freeze?
- Turn off the main water valve.
- Call a professional plumber.
- Call an IICRC certified restoration & mitigation company.
SERVPRO's Water Restoration Process:
The restoration process begins when you call us. Our representative will guide you through the crisis and may ask several questions to help us better understand the equipment and resources.
We determine the scope of your water damage at this stage. We inspect and test to determine the extent of damage and how far the moisture has traveled to ensure proper and complete restoration.
The water removal process begins almost immediately and removes the majority of the water. We use powerful pumps and vacuum units to quickly remove hundreds or thousands of gallons from your property, which helps prevent secondary water damage and mold growth.
We use specialized equipment to remove the remaining water that is harder to access. Our Professionals will use room measurements, temperature, and relative humidity to determine the optimal number of air movers and dehumidifiers needed to dry your home or business.
We clean all of the restorable items and structures damaged by the water. We are adept at cleaning contents using a number of techniques. Our professionals are trained to provide sanitizing treatments and to remove odors and deodorize your property.
Restoration is the process of restoring your home or business to its pre-water damage condition. Restoration may involve minor repairs, such as replacing drywall and installing new carpet, or may entail major repairs, such as the reconstruction of various areas or rooms in a home or business.
Call us at 509-926-6140 if you have any questions or concerns.